DRAMA COURSE – YEAR 1
ACTING TECHNIQUE 1
Acting Technique 1 (AT1) is the first year of the acting course offered at the Actors Door Studio.
It is a dynamic 36 week course, taught over 3 week terms. Students opting for the Flexible Study option can pay for the course on an instalments basis.
In this stage of the course you will expand on the fundamentals you learned in your Foundations Course. The course will drive you in deeper into the core acting principles of the Beck Emotional Access Technique and the Meisner Technique.
In class, students will work on improvisational exercises designed to progressively challenge them and inviting you to step even more outside, of artistic comfort zone.
Preparation time outside of class is essential.
BUILD YOUR OWN COURSE:
The Flexible Study option gives actors the opportunity to build their own curriculum. Which means, they have the flexibility to add the study modules that best suit them.
Taking all modules ensures that all aspects of the actor’s instrument are trained and in addition, ensures they are adept at all necessary skills necessary for success.
Students may choose to attend one or all of the additional modules.
ACTING TECHNIQUE 1:
Acting Technique 1 develops fundamental acting skills in actors. Using fundamentals from the Meisner Technique and BEAT, during this stage actors will:
- Learn how to connect with their emotions
- Take the first steps to training their ’emotional instrument’
- Develop their artistic instinct
- Learn how to connect ‘truthfully’ with other actors
Teaching Modules for Stage 1 are as follows:
- Activities & Door Exercises
36 weeks, 1 x 3.5hr acting class weekly
SCENE STUDY MODULE
In this module, actors are taught how to apply the fundamental and core acting skills they developed in Acting Technique 1. The Scene Study module can be thought of as the application of those skills to text work. In this module actors will:
- Learn about story and character
- Form an understanding of character ‘doings’
- Practice scene analysis techniques
- Perform scenes in front of an audience
Teaching Modules for Scene Study 1 are as follows:
- Scene Study
36 weeks, 1 x 3.5hr acting class weekly
MOVEMENT 1 AND VOICE 1 MODULE
Voice 1 will explore the basic foundations of relaxation and best vocal practise. Classes will complement skill development in acting as well as increasing confidence and personal presence.
Movement 1 has been specifically designed to reflect your acting training, taking you outside your physical comfort zone.
36 weeks, 1 x 1.5hr Voice class weekly, and 1 x 1.5hr Movement class weekly
SCREEN ACTING 1 MODULE
Acting for the screen involves learning a set of specialist skills that actors need to develop, in addition to core stage acting competencies. The Screen Acting module comprises teaching units in:
- Screen Acting theory
- On camera practice
- Audition and Self tape
36 weeks, 1 x 3.5hr Screen Acting class weekly
PREPARE TO BE CHALLENGED!
BEAT is a fully developed method acting technique. Each acting class is designed to progressively challenge you not only as an actor and also as a person. The method can be a real transformative experience. If you apply yourself you will become a more truthful, instinctive, emotionally connected actor and human being.
To join ATI you need to have successfully completed Foundations for Beginners at the Actors Door Studio, or you have been formally invited to join course following the selection process.
DRAMA COURSE LONDON: LEARNING OUTCOMES
As you successfully complete YEAR 1, you will:
- Gain an understanding of the technique as a ‘method’ approach to acting.
- Attain competence in the foundations of the Beck Emotional Access Technique.
- Gain an understanding of the principles of the technique and how to apply them.
- Learn to connect with your instinctive & emotional self
- Complete improv exercises that teach key BEAT skills and which you can then use professionally.
- Apply key learning outcomes to scene work and monologues.
- Learn to use your body and voice as part of your story telling instrument
- Develop awareness of your body in space
- Form an understanding of how body, voice and your emotional instrument connect and intersect
- Attain superior screen acting skills
- Apply key learnings from Acting Technique and Scene Study to Screen Acting
- Develop the inside-out and outside-in perspective to allow you to create powerful performances on camera
- Develop a highly effective Audition Technique
- Satisfy requirements for entry to Year 2 of the Drama Course.